- Remove slow cooker roast from box and place in a dish to for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium heat, approximately 350°F (175°).
- Place a cast iron skillet on the barbecue directly over heat. Add oil and butter and then sauté onions until well browned.
- Add garlic and flour and continue to cook while stirring for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add stock and water and bring to a simmer, stirring to deglaze the bottom of the skillet. Place the roast on top, adding black pepper. Move the pan to indirect or low heat, close the lid on the BBQ and cook roast for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Check pan every 20-30 minutes and if sauce is getting dry add additional water.
- A meat thermometer should read 170°F (77°C) when the roast is fully cooked.
- When done loosely tent the roast with foil and set aside to rest.
- Puree the onion gravy in a blender or food processor and add water and salt if required.
- Remove the netting from the roast, slice and serve with gravy.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jason Wortzman
Copyright © 2018 Granny's Poultry Cooperative (Manitoba) Ltd.,
All Rights Reserved