- Remove slow cooker roast from box and place in a dish to for 24 hours in the refrigerator to thaw.
- Preheat the barbecue to medium heat, approximately 350°F (175°).
- Place a cast iron skillet on the barbecue directly over heat. Add oil and butter and then sauté onions until well browned.
- Add garlic and flour and continue to cook while stirring for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add stock and water and bring to a simmer, stirring to deglaze the bottom of the skillet. Place the roast on top, adding black pepper.
- Move the pan to indirect or low heat, close the lid on the BBQ and cook roast for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. Check pan every 20-30 minutes and if sauce is getting dry add additional water. A meat thermometer should read 170°F (77°C) when the roast is fully cooked.
- When done, loosely tent the roast with foil and set aside to rest.
- Puree the onion gravy in a blender or food processor and add water and salt if required.
- Remove the netting from the roast, slice and serve with gravy.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jason Wortzman
Copyright © 2018 Granny's Poultry Cooperative (Manitoba) Ltd.,
All Rights Reserved