- Preheat barbecue medium heat (350°F | 175°C).
- Combine salt, ginger, Chinese 5 Spice and vegetable oil. Lift skin from breast and thighs being careful not to tear it.
- Tuck seasoning mixture between skin and meat, spreading it around as much as possible; put any extra inside the cavity.
- Rub the skin with olive oil.
- Discard 1/3 of the beer in the can and place bird over the beer can, so the cavity covers most of the beer can and the bird can stand upright.
- Roast the chicken upright on the grill for about 1 hour, over indirect heat.
- The chicken will be fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 170°F (77°C).
- Loosely tent it with foil and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jason Wortzman
Copyright 2019 Granny's Poultry Cooperative (Manitoba) Ltd.,
All Rights Reserved