- Preheat the oven to 375°C (190°C).
- Place the turkey breast side down on a cutting board. Using sharp kitchen shears, slowly and carefully cut out the backbone (a 2-inch-wide strip down center of the turkey). Trim any loose skin. Trim wing tips, if desired.
- Flip the turkey over and make a shallow incision inside the turkey cavity down the cartilage.
- Turn the turkey over and press down firmly over the center of the breasts until the breastbone cracks and the turkey flattens. Place the turkey on a baking tray, tucking legs and wings in to fit.
- Boil a kettle of water. Once boiling, slowly pour the water over the turkey to contract the skin. Discard excess water from the pan and pat the turkey dry.
- Sprinkle salt over dried turkey. Using a food-safe brush, coat the turkey with canola oil.
- Roast Turkey in the oven for about an hour and a half, or until turkey registers 75°C (170°F) in the breast and 80°C (180°F) in the thigh with a digital meat thermometer. Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
Cooking Tip: A spatchcocked turkey should be no larger than 6kg (13.5lb). Do not store the turkey in the fridge after pouring the hot water over the turkey. Cook immediately.
For additional flavour, try our Turkey Brine recipe! Simply brine your Granny’s Turkey first then follow the instructions.
Copyright © Exceldor Cooperative, All Rights Reserved.