- Remove as much skin as possible from the chicken, wash it and place it in a medium sized pot.
- Add enough cold water to cover the bird plus about 1 inch.
- Add the whole peeled onion, chopped leek and parsley then bring slowly to a gentle boil.
- Skim scum off the top as required and simmer for about 1.5 hours.
- Remove bird to a platter to cool. Once cooled, debone and chop chicken into pieces.
- Strain soup through a fine sieve, then return liquid to a cleaned pot and bring back to a gentle boil.
- Add carrots, celery, a few teaspoons of sea salt and some chopped meat from the cooked chicken.
- Raw formed matzo balls (as per box instructions) can also be added at this point if they are being used.
- When carrots are tender add dill, sea salt and pepper.
- If using broad noodles, break into one inch pieces before cooking. Cook noodles as directed on the package. Add noodles to soup just prior to serving.
Cooking Tip: Any remaining chicken can be used for chicken salad sandwiches — just diced and mixed with mayo and seasoning.
Copyright © Exceldor Cooperative, All Rights Reserved.