- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Remove handi clamp, neck and giblets from thawed turkey.
- Place turkey breast side down on a cutting board. Using poultry shears or a knife, remove the backbone from the turkey by cutting down each side of the back starting at the neck. Remove the back bone and discard or save for making stock. Cut the inside centre of the breast bone at the top enough so that both breasts flatten easily.
- Combine seasoning ingredients and mix into a paste and cover the skin side and the inner side turkey with the paste. Place turkey skin side up on a large baking sheet, flattening the turkey as much as possible by pushing down on the breast bone.
- Roast the turkey uncovered for 1.5 – 2 hours. A meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 170°F (77°C) when the bird is done. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10-15 minutes before carving.
Cooking Tip: A spatchcocked turkey should be no larger than 6kg (13.5lb).
Copyright © Exceldor Cooperative, All Rights Reserved.