- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Remove Handi Clamp, neck and giblets from turkey.
- Place turkey breast side down on a cutting board.
- Using poultry shears or a knife, remove the backbone from the turkey by cutting down each side of the back starting at the neck. Remove the back bone and discard or save for making stock.
- Cut the inside centre of the breast bone at the top enough so that both breasts flatten easily.
- Combine seasoning ingredients and mix into a paste.
- Cover the skin side and the inner side turkey with the paste.
- Place turkey skin side up on a large baking sheet, flattening the turkey as much as possible by pushing down on the breast bone.
- Roast the turkey uncovered for 1.5 – 2 hours. A meat thermometer inserted in the thigh should read 170°F (77°C) when the bird is done.
- Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10-15 minutes before carving.
From the Chef: It is recommended to use a turkey no larger than 6 kilograms for this method.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jason Wortzman
Copyright © 2019 Granny's Poultry Cooperative (Manitoba) Ltd.,
All Rights Reserved